Submitted by Kathy Du Bois
|Theme:||Unity, working together|
|Object:||A group of people to build a house|
(Make signs for each of 19 workers. Try to get one volunteer to represent each occupation. As each person comes to the front, one at a time, have him or her remain down front until the children's sermon is over.)
(Have the children join you down front. It would be good if you could all sit together to think.)
Presenter: "You know, I've been thinking, I want to build a house. Any of you ever build a house before? Let's build a house, okay? Let's see, what should we do first?" (Just sit with the children and think.) "Hmmm, how can we build a house?"
1. Realtor: "Perhaps I can help. I'm a Realtor. I'll help you get some land to build your house."
2. Lawyer: "I'm a lawyer. I'll make sure that you can really have the land that she finds for you."
Presenter: "Ooh, good thinking! I wouldn't have thought of that. How about you?"
3. G-man: "Well, I'm from the government and I'm here to help! You'll need to talk to me to make sure that you have permission to build on that land."
Presenter: “Ooh, good thinking! We don't want to get in trouble!"
4. Architect: You'll need me to help you design your house. We'll draw pictures of what you might want to build to make sure that you'll like it and that you can afford it."
7. Foundation person: "Yep, and I'll fill that whole with a concrete floor and walls for a solid foundation. You'll need that if you want your house to be around for a while."
Presenter: "I just want a house!" (to approaching framer) "Can you help me build a house?"
Presenter: (Dejectedly, to approaching electrician) "What do you do?"
11. Well driller: "Well, if you want water in that house of yours you'll need me to dig a well for you."
2. Plumber: "And if you want his water, you'll need me to put in pipes and fixtures or else you may have to use a bucket!"
13. Dry waller: "And if you want walls, you'll have to let me take some time inside your house."
14. Painter: "And I paint his walls! We're a team."
Presenter: "Well, maybe I could do the painting."
Painter: "But I'm a professional!"
15. Carpenter: "Do you want cabinets on those walls?"
Presenter: "I guess so."
Carpenter: "Oh you do, trust me! I'll talk to your wife about it."
19. Landscaper: "Not so fast. You're going to want a lawn aren't you, and trees and shrubs?"
Presenter: "Good idea." (To the children) "Wow, look at all these people. Building a house takes a lot of different people with a lot of different talents, doesn't it? You know, that's kind of like the church. There are lots of gifts and talents right here in this room and God needs them all. If someone holds back, it's kind of like having someone not do his or her part to build a house. I suppose we could get by without the painter."
Copyright © Kathy Du Bois
Used by Permission